I’m watching the season premier of “The Real World: Las Vegas” and it hit me that going on the Disney International Program is literally the same experience, minus the cameras. We always joked that we were living on a reality show, but watching this season has cemented the idea for a few reasons.
1. Moving to a different place, walking into an apartment and meeting a new roommate (or roommates)
2. A group of people thrown together (your arrival group) that forms an instant bond
3. Friendships and relationships are created at superspeed, meaning that a couple of days seems like weeks or even months of knowing people
4. Existing relationships/habits/beliefs and norms are challanged everyday.
5. Drinking in excess seems like it’s not a big deal. Why that is, who knows. But it’s a fact.
6. Making risky choices and trying new/uncomfortable things is not such a big deal after a while.
7. Types of people you would never think of being friends with from Day 1 become your best buddies after a while.
8. It’s an experience that only the few chosen who have experienced it can fully understand and appreciate.
It sounds cheesy, and they repeat it throughout the recruitment process. But it truly is “Something that changes you.”